Monday, March 11, 2013

6-String Passion



This weekend, the Nashville Guitar Show was held at the Factory in Franklin. At just about every turn there seemed to be a familiar face. I was surprised to see Brad Whitford of Aerosmith perusing the aisles for a new vintage addition to his already burgeoning collection. Buddy Miller, Jeff Hanna (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) and several other notables made their way through rows of guitars, filling the crowded Jamison Hall.

I try to make it to the show each year. To support such an event helps to bring it back next year. The famous and unknown alike come back for the same reason: Passion for 6-strings.

Teisco model from 1968, same make and color as mine.
As I grow older, my love for guitars increase--not just for the instrument, but for amps, pedals and all of the accessories. My infatuation with guitars started when I received my first Teisco guitar and amp as a gift from my parents, back in the late '60s. I remember plugging the guitar into the low-budget amp, turning it all the way up, and hearing the glorious squeal and endless feedback. Nothing has changed in 45 years: I still like to turn my amps up to eleven, to get that compression, growl and sustain.

I was able to check out an ancient Silvertone recently that my buddy, Kevin Shaw, was repairing. Even though the amp came from Sears back in the day, it sounded amazing.

Kings of Leon Silvertone 1485 Amp in Kevin's shop
Almost everyone from the guitar show had a look of wonder on their face (with the exception of the wives and girlfriends who reluctantly joined them). The exciting first moment when we unwrapped our guitar, strapped it on and plugged into an amp was remembered as many of the guitars from our childhood made an appearance at the show--the price tags were exceptionally higher than when, as brand-new instruments, they sat on the shelves of stores like Sears, White Front (where I got my Teisco) and Montgomery Ward.

The opportunity to go back in time and get that "first guitar feeling" again was well worth the $15 price of admission. Even though I have many guitars and amps today, there's still a young boy inside of me wanting to join a band and play top 40 radio songs. I guess I'll always be on a journey to fulfill that dream...even though I've done so a hundred times over.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie. When I read that Alvin Lee had died last week, several guitar-inspired memories came rushing back:

    1) In August of '69, I was on tour with Continentals, had just returned from Europe and were on our way back to LA on our motor-coach when we were caught in a huge traffic jam on the NY State Thruway. Sitting on the bus, barely moving, we had no clue we were amongst those en route to Woodstock where Alvin Lee 'et al were on stage that night.

    Later. Wes and I saw the documentary of Woodstock in a movie theater in Pittsburgh when we were on tour together in early '73. Alvin's "Goin' Home" blew my hair back.

    2. Wes and I then saw him 'live' as the opening act for HUMBLE PIE (Steve Marriott, Peter Frampton) in the Spring of '73 - Rochester, New York, I think.

    And . .

    3. I played a ES 335 too ('69 vintage) - mine had the Starburst finish and I took off my pickup covers like I had noticed he had done.

    I share these brief memories with you because there are a just a few of us out there that might read these words and perhaps smile that knowing smile -- a sense of awe, actually, to realize how often our lives in music intersected history in a remarkable sort of way.

    My 335 took me to those places.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Justin! I think being stuck on the NY Thruway because of a little concert festival called WOODSTOCK is historic. I'm glad you shared it! Also, thanks for being there for me, booking gigs, providing shelter, transportation, etc., so I could hone my craft. I know the days we spend on the road, working our butts off, all pays off in a myriad of ways. I'm still getting paid! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete