Thursday, March 21, 2013

Song Story: "Garments of Praise"



I recently received a request from Carman in Mason City, Iowa, asking if I'd tell the song-story of "Garments of Praise." The following is what I wrote in response. I thought I'd share it here:

In 1999, we were living in Rutherfordton, North Carolina. I had been working in a band that, at that point, had recorded three CDs with Maranatha! Music. I felt it was time to leave the group and, for some reason, was also dealing with personal struggles in the form of self-doubt and a lack of confidence. I made it a matter of prayer, and offered my troubled heart before the Lord. I randomly came upon the "Garments of Praise" passage in Isaiah 63. Through the hope gained in reading and applying the Word, God eventually led me out of that dark place.

I thought it might be a great passage to put to music. I was aware of the popular praise song with the same name, but I wanted to make my own version and start it out as a prayer--slow and in earnest--leading up to a point of a "hallelujah" celebration.

At the time, I heard of the Robin Mark project that Integrity Music (my publisher at the time) was developing; it was to be recorded in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and I submitted "Garments of Praise," thinking the song suited the Celtic style they were looking for. It was accepted and added to the CD's song list. I was surprised to hear that it ended up being the first song on the record, preceded by a long bagpipe intro.

My friend, Kelly Willard, surprised me one day, soon after the song's release, on a road trip we were taking with her husband to a retreat in Arizona. She kept talking of a certain song she had heard recently, and wanted to play it for me. After starting the CD, the familiar bagpipes flowed out of the car speakers as "Garments of Praise" began to play. Kelly smiled at me through the rear-view mirror as we cruised along the highway toward our destination.

That was a significant moment for me. I first saw Kelly in concert when I was 15 years-old in 1975 at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, CA. She was singing solo at the grand piano. Her songs and voice have inspired me to write worship songs ever since. I eventually met her after I signed with Integrity Music in 1992, and began doing studio sessions with her at Integrity's Mobile, Alabama studio. I am a big fan of Kelly Willard to this day. Her wink in the rear-view mirror was a fulfillment of God's promise that He would carry me through the struggles I had at the time "Garments of Praise" was written.

I recently did a worship concert in North Carolina with my buddy and co-writer, Gary Sadler. I told the story that the song was written right down the highway from the church. The song brought down the house that night! The song continues to bring out shouts of praise, and usually incites dancing in the aisles from churches who feel the freedom to do so.

I am truly blessed to have been the vehicle through which God birthed the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment