Monday, January 3, 2011

Big Shoes to Fill

Brenda and I came out of hibernation New Years Day to do some shopping; the Christmas cash and gift cards were burning a hole in our pockets. So, as I have been looking for a vintage pair of boots, we made our way into a local shoe repair to see if they had any unclaimed items for sale. In broken English, the man asked for my shoe size. He thought for a moment, turned and disappeared into the back room. Surprisingly, he returned with two pairs of black, well-worn, re-soled western boots and plopped them down on the counter. He mumbled more indiscernible English words mingled with Chinese and handed me the first pair. The size said 9 1/2 on the inside but, forcing my foot into the top, I knew it would end up being a losing battle. So I traded those for the second pair. The tops were like glove leather, crumpled over after years of use, and the full quill ostrich uppers were pristine. I knew this pair would be a steal--probably retailing for around $400, new--and the beautiful thing was...they fit! The shop owner slurred, "Sevendee dolla!"

I wasn't going to fall for the first offer (he needed to recover his costs but I know that the labor was negotiable), so I offered forty bucks. Acting insulted, he clear the boots from the counter and waved us away saying, "You waste my time--I not work, when talk to you!" We were just about to walk out empty-handed when he motioned us back to the counter (my newly acquired bargaining skills from watching American Pickers had prevailed!). Sarcastically, I shot back with, "I thought I was wasting your time..." Eying a worthy opponent he returned, "Fifty dolla?" I told him he had a deal and I handed over my debit card. Brenda reached to take the boots from the counter and out from the pull-straps fell a folded claim ticket with the name of the original owner. When she saw who it was, she elbowed me. I looked down, and it was one of my favorite guitar players of all time. I was just listening to his music the day before, and today I have his boots!

I walked out of there with a pair of killer, vintage Tony Lamas and a promise for a great 2011. I knew it was a nod from God as if He said, "I've got some great things in store for you this year, Jamie." I take it as a blessing and a challenge. I certainly have some big shoes to fill!

1 comment: