Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Playing With Truth

I just put the finishing touches on a new recording by the group Truth. They are doing a 40th anniversary tour this fall and, through the arranging and production leadership of Steven V. Taylor, Truth will have this project available at their merchandise table during the tour. I am honored to add my guitar playing to this project. Back in the early 80s I played with Truth for two and a half years. So its poetic that I have the opportunity to "join" them one last time on this recording.

I started my journey with Truth after spending three years with American Entertainment Productions. In AEP, I learned the entertainment skills that are necessary to hold an audience's attention (For those who have done outside fairs and other such venues, these particular audiences are a challenge to get focused, for any length of time). In the group Truth, I learned about ministering to the Church and the many denominational challenges that exist. I owe a lot to Truth's leader, Roger Breland, as he, unlike any other, has an incredible skill with audiences. We were able to see hundreds come to Christ during my tenure, and many more up until they did their last concert on June 16, 2002 in Nashville.

Truth, at that point, was 31 years old. Roger had taken it as far as it could go. He went on to become the the Director of the Center for Performing Arts at the University of Mobile in Alabama (my Alma mater). Presently, under Roger's leadership, the university has 15 performing ensembles and has presented concerts to audiences in local churches, conventions, The White House and Europe. God has really used Roger in a great way and I think this 40th anniversary tour is a great way to remind the Church of just that.

Information on the tour can be found at the Truth40 website. I am proud to continue my connection with Roger Breland and Truth. I pray God's blessings on the tour. The kids that Roger has chosen to participate have no idea that, like me, in 30 years they will still be talking about the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment