Friday, July 15, 2011

The Story Wins

With movie-goers these days, a film's value is often measured by the amount of special effects used. But I am a story guy, through and through. So when I see a movie trailer where the special effects compliment a great story, then I might go see it in the theater. Otherwise, I'd rather stay home.

When I buy the blu-ray of a certain movie, its usually because it's a classic, or I want to watch it again several times, and/or for the extra features. Sometimes I am more interested in the special features than the actual movie. That's why in the past, I went on the "cheap" and leaned on Netflix when the blu-ray was released. More recently though, many studios have gotten "wise" and don't include any extras at all with the movie. You have to throw-down big bucks to buy the "combo pack" and get the cool stuff.

When I recently dug back into my Wizard of Oz 70th anniversary blu-ray special features, I was amazed at how practical and down-to-earth the effects were. Of course in 1938, optical effects were limited. But it is amazing how "ahead-of-it's time" the photography looks in the restored version. On my 1080p HD television, the picture is so clear, it looks just as modern as any movie shot yesterday with an HD camera. The great thing about Oz is it's great story. So with the restoration and the new surround sound, it is even more spectacular.

This week, three documentaries focused on the creation of Harry Potter's music, special effects and the overall conceptualization were aired on The Biography Channel, in anticipation of Harry Potter's final installment. A movie so driven by story must ring true to an audience, especially for those millions of readers who have already lived in the Harry Potter world through the books, prior to seeing them played-out on screen. For the producers, directors and technicians of the series, there was a great challenge to remain true to J. K. Rowling's original literary vision. I believe they have succeeded so far--even triumphed.

This summer, many films are completely based on special effects. It also seems that everything is in 3D, too. With that, I am wary and will avoid most of the summer fare. When something like The King's Speech comes in with a great story and amazing acting, I will be there at the Carmike Theater in Franklin--popcorn and all. To me, no matter how spectacular the visuals are, the story wins, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment