Sunday, May 5, 2013

Running Back to the Hymns



I was invited to a wedding this past weekend here in Nashville. The groom, a former bandmate of my son, invited all the band guys to be groomsmen. He was marrying a musician, so, needless to say, the wedding ceremony included a lot of great music.

Looking around the sanctuary, every other seat was taken by a musician. It was obvious--just like most Nashville audiences. The bride selected celtic-styled songs straight out of the hymnal, and the instrumentalists played the ancient melodies on fiddle, mandolin and piano. Everyone seemed to enjoy the pre-wedding entertainment.

Then the wedding party started their stroll down the aisle.  The groomsmen were clothed in Converse All Stars, white shirts without ties, and bluejeans, held up with black suspenders. The bridesmaids wore very simple mint green dresses---with not a hint of extravagance that a previous generation might have chosen for their wedding ceremonies.

Then all of a sudden, it hit me...

With the hipster-style clothes,  the austere decore (not a flower in sight), and Avett Brothers-style music, I saw the Millennial Generation in full display. Being of the Baby Boomer Generation myself, I made an interesting observation as the pastor asked us to "stand and turn in your hymnbooks to page number..." Having come from a generation that all but ditched the hymnal--and boxed them up to be stored in the church basement--I was surprised to see these twenty-somethings pull the old books out, almost in a cutting-edge move, in a rebellious sort of "in-your-face" play.

It's proof that many young believers are embracing tradition. They've seen their mom and dad run from traditional church hymns, toward choruses and pull-down screens, filled with lyrics of a thousand praise and worship songs that, because of an over abundance, no one has had a chance to memorize. Instead, these Millennials are running back to the solid foundation and familiarity of the hymns that many of us have abandoned.

I was reminded at the wedding Saturday that maybe its time to get back to simplicity. Maybe my kids have watched me chasing after the next fad, the newest song, way too many times. I am about ready to follow their lead.

3 comments:

  1. You are in good company, my friend. When our worship leader led in Great is Thy Faithfulness yesterday, I was moved to tears because it has become my testimony. To sing it so simply and now, because of distance from it, so from my heart was an incredible worship moment that I am still feeling. So grateful for our heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal worship time at the piano seems to be running more and more back to old hymns that I haven't heard or thought of in a very long time. I thought it was must me!

    ReplyDelete