Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Missing Piece: Duane Allman's Slide (revised)


The The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language defines an icon as “an image; a representation; an important and enduring symbol.” Indiana Jones' whip is iconic; Michael Jackson's glove is iconic; Paul McCartney's Hofner left-handed bass is iconic. When thinking of the early Allman Brothers Band, its hard to separate Duane Allman from a Les Paul guitar and his Coricidin glass bottle slide. Truly iconic.

Our family friend Beth came to own one of Duane Allman's glass guitar slides. One day she brought me the 4" x 2" x 1" box containing the slide and graciously gave it to me.

Beth intrigued me when she spoke of an earlier association with the Allman Brothers Band, and told me that, at one time, she had been engaged to the band's tour manager, Twiggs Lyndon. She made a huge life-change in the following years. Beth felt the need to make a break from her past, so she gave me the Coricidin bottle as a gift. Beth told me she had visited Macon, Georgia, a few times with her former fiance, who had given her the slide. Here's Beth's story in her own words:

"Upon one of those visits to Macon, Twiggs and I went to Greg's house to deliver his car in trade for Duane's guitar. Greg had shown an interest in the car and Twiggs knew he could always get another car but Duane's guitar was a rare treasure to keep safe. Our visit coincided with a first time visit from Cher who was also part of our little meeting. The next time Twiggs visited me in my home in Mobile, he set out to remove the frets himself and implant them onto the back. He was seated at the kitchen table and took much time laying out the frets on the back until he was ready to pound them in. He replaced the old frets himself and often played the guitar.


Twiggs was a great story teller and enjoyed nothing more than to be occupied with a project and tell stories related to his colorful experiences with the music industry. Having started out with Little Richard, he had fond memories of being the only white boy traveling with the otherwise all black band. Anyway, he gave me the slide then and told me I should hold on to it as it would be worth something someday. So I tucked it away with my personal keepsakes in Mobile. I pulled it out when you helped with me deal with issues from that past as I knew you would appreciate it. I can only imagine that Steve Morse came to own the guitar as Twiggs managed the Dixie Dregs. Not only did he inherit the guitar but my engagement ring diamond as well that Twiggs wore in his ear as seen on the cover of the Freefall album." 

The gift box containing the slide and hair band
Brenda and I toured the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, in 2011, and came across this very guitar that Twiggs transformed years ago. Over time, the guitar made its way back home to Duane's daughter, Galadrielle. She has generously given permission to display it in Cleveland.

I feel very blessed to have this slide in my possession. I have been asked since to donate it to the Hall of Fame Museum. I guess its selfish, but I don't want to part with it. Maybe I will in the future. I cherish my slide and Duane's yellow hair band that accompanies it.

I guess I relish the fact that I have the missing piece.

2 comments:

  1. CAN I BUY THIS OFF YOU??????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I wouldn't want to give it up either.

    ReplyDelete