Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Free For the Taking

I got tired of cutting away the weeds from around the broken-down lawn mower in my backyard. This has been happening for the past three seasons since my new mower has taken it's place. Isn't it funny how patient we can be with clutter and junk that piles up around us? In the case of the mower, and a derelict grill for that matter, it was time to find a proper site for burial.

Cable and satellite TV is littered (pun intended) with shows about clutter. From the fairly innocent pack-rat who has trouble throwing out uncle Ted's clown figurine collection to the mentally/ emotionally challenged person who has to make a trail through the head-high collection of trash that fills their homes, junk seems to be an American obsession. My two favorite shows on TV revolve around junk (or treasure--depending on how much money you can squeeze out of it!). Pawn Stars (sorry, but that's what it's called) is about a pawn shop and the days in the life of the owners and family members. It is crazy the kind of money that folks can get for simple items that I would have no trouble tossing away. The other show is about antique dealers who scavenge people's old barns and out buildings for hidden treasure called American Pickers. There is always a market for what we consider castaway items. For several years I have used Ebay to unload items that have some sort of marketability on the internet. Once I sold a collection of old magazines, for instance, that brought in enough money, less the expenses, to take my wife out for a nice steak dinner.

So, last Saturday, after I circled the dead lawn mower for the last time, I had a bright idea. I wheeled the poor thing out to the curb along with the old grill and made a sign that said, "Please take us! FREE!" As soon as I hammered the sign into the ground and turned around to go back into the house, a truck slowed down to read the sign. I hurriedly made my way to the door and quickly closed it behind me because I wouldn't want to seem vulnerable at that point. Sure enough, the driver snatched up the grill and whisked it away to a new home. It wasn't an hour later that another thrifty, young man saw the sad looking lawn mower and tucked it away in the back of his truck. Now, the sign was left standing alone, evidence of good, responsible recycling in action!

The backyard is finally rid of it's clutter. To make room in our closet, I think my wife has her eye on setting both pairs of my beloved Croc sandals out on the curb for a stranger to nab. At least we have a sign ready to let the neighborhood know they are free for the taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment