Thursday, June 10, 2010

Stand Still

I think it's cool that God asks His kids to do things totally against the grain of human nature. All things supernatural are contrary to human nature. Our propensity to sin leads us away from God, forging a stubborn independence from His will and provision. Our flesh depends on it's own strength for survival. But God's desire for mankind is that we trust Him alone to meet our needs through faith and grace (unmerited favor). An illustration of just how backward we humans have it is found in this conundrum from Henry Blackaby's study, Experiencing God: “Don’t just do something. Stand there!" Henry goes on to make his point:

"We are industrious people. We always want to accomplish something. The idea of doing God’s will sounds exciting. Once in awhile, someone says, 'Don’t just stand there—do something.' Sometimes individuals or churches are so busy carrying out plans they think will help achieve God’s purposes that they don’t bother to find out what He actually wants. We often wear ourselves out and accomplish little for the kingdom of God."

"Jesus said, 'I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me' (John 15:5). Do you believe that without Him you can do nothing? Sure, you can keep yourself busy. You can immerse yourself in activities, programs, meetings, and events, but they will not have any lasting value for God’s kingdom..."

I read a Tweet from Saddleback Church pastor Rick Warren today that stated, "God gives (you) enough time to do His Will. If (you) can't get it all done-(you are) doing stuff out of His Will or doing it a wrong way." God does not require us to be in a hurry, but to discover what He is doing and get in the midst of it. We will arrive at the correct destination at just the right time when we are in His will.

God is calling me to "stand still" regarding some initiatives in my life. My tendency is to "work it" and "push" and "struggle" until I get the results I want...after all--isn't struggle godly? No. Sometimes waiting and watching is what God desires from me. Sometimes He wants me to wait in the bushes and watch for His salvation. 2 Chronicles 20:17 says, "You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you..." (NIV).

God, help me to trust You with my life. You have an amazing perspective on my days on earth from beginning to end. As my Alpha and Omega, please reveal to me what You are doing so I might join You in Your work. Help me not to get it backward and find myself, like Pastor Warren pointed out...doing stuff out of Your Will or doing it a wrong way, altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment