Friday, November 26, 2010

Leftovers


We have a bunch of ham leftover from Thanksgiving. That's right, ham. If I were to choose, I'd pick ham every time. We are usually traditional on Turkey Day, but his year Brenda was handed a kick-fanny Honey Baked ham as a gift--so pork became our Thanksgiving main course. Needless to say, I had ham later for dinner, and we will have some more tonight as well.

I am reminded of the loaves and fishes story from the Bible. Not only did Jesus supply enough food for the multitudes, but there were baskets filled with leftovers for some fortunate person to take home and enjoy for days. When Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding feast, he made three huge vats so there would be plenty. As with the bread, some blessed soul had the "duty" of carrying home the excess wine from the feast (can you imagine what the label would say if it were bottled?--God's Best Vineyards--French wine would have nothing on it!). Every blessing that God brings is a reminder that heaven is not poor or wanting for anything. When He is involved, things are done with the utmost quality and the quantity usually exceeds the needed amount.

As I eat our Honey Baked ham to the bone, I thank God. He constantly reminds us that He has our back. Even though it's ironic--the God of Issac and Jacob gave us the forbidden swine for Thanksgiving--I see it as a wink and a nod to the fact that He wants to bless us abundantly. I don't deserve any of it. I cannot match his generosity. So I will reach for a roll, slap on some mustard, and give thanks for the leftovers. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment