Friday, December 3, 2010

Big Baby

I try to listen for God's voice throughout my day. Sometimes He speaks through an inner voice; other times He speaks through circumstances. Whatever the occasion, I know when it's Him. My greatest measuring device for Truth is the Word of God.

Often, when I am in an especially difficult situation and I need reassurance, I have heard the Lord speak to me through analogies. Recently I received a beautiful symbolic mental picture. As I was seeking wisdom on how to deal with a difficulty, I saw in my mind a baby struggling to get out of his mother's arms. I knew it was God because, although I am a creative person, that analogy came out of nowhere--and it hit me right between the eyes. The message was telling me to stop trying to pry myself out of God's plan, protection and providence. Many times I get restless and don't trust God's perspective or timing. It was clear that God told me to settle down!

That's good news for me because it means I can relax. He wasn't asking me to do something as much as to trust Him. Life is a great-big mystery because, as humans, we don't know what's around the bend. We can forecast the weather, analyze the stock market, and watch the idiot lights on our car warn us when it needs servicing. Our walk through this life doesn't come with devices like these, but I know that I have the Spirit to guide me safely through. When God speaks, I want to listen and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment