Friday, December 17, 2010

Guitar Nails

Sometimes when I am paying for an item at Target or somewhere like that, people can give me a funny look because the nails on my right hand are really long and the ones on the left are normal. I guess they think I'm some kind of weirdo; if they ask me, I tell 'em the truth: I am a guitar player.

In a guitar picker paradise like Nashville, this curiosity is less common than places with a smaller professional-musician population, but people can sure stare sometimes. Really, it's just the thumb and three fingers of my right hand, excluding the little pinky-finger, that are longer than usual. As an acoustic guitar player, I am dependent on my nails to act like picks when I perform finger-style/ folk guitar playing. I sometimes use my nails instead of a plastic pick when playing electric guitar.

Most of my life I have been a nail biter and didn't have enough nail length to create the crisp, clear sound that properly cared-for nails can offer. When I did grow my nails out, they were weak, and even strengthener didn't help. So I went to a nail salon.

It can be kind of awkward when they ask if I am waiting for my wife and I say, "No, I wanna get my nails done!" They usually look with even more suspicion when I only want three fingers and a thumb of one hand done. Then with a sheepish grin I say, "Guitar player...," and they begin to understand--sort of. I had my nails done every two weeks for over a year until I got curious and went to Walgreens to buy a do-it-yourself overlay kit so I could "save money" and do them at my leisure. At first, I was terrible at it, and it gave me great respect for those ladies at the salon! I managed to get the hang of it, and now I can do my own nail maintenance. Plus, doing the nails at home means I don't have to shrug my shoulders in surrender when the other salon patrons look at me funny!

James Taylor has a website that offers an interesting video on how he cares for his nails. JT is the "maestro" when it comes to finger-style playing. If you get the hang of either using his method of nail-care or mine, using acrylic overlay, you can be on your way to great acoustic guitar tone.

2 comments:

  1. Now that would be some excellent "just us" time if you can get Brenda to do them for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete