Wednesday, June 29, 2011

All Amped Up with Shaw


I just returned from my buddy Kevin Shaw's shop. Every time I go over there I get in a heap of trouble. Kevin's amplifiers are so beautiful and sound so great; I usually return home infatuated and start dreaming of a new Shaw acquisition!!

Kevin and I have been talking about a Marshall JCM 800 type of an amp configuration. I've been looking to acquire one which majors on classic 70s Marshall crunch tones. I am a Foreigner/ Mick Jones fan, and also appreciate the guitarist in Loverboy and his killer tone ("Turn Me Loose," "The Kid Is Hot Tonight"). So, Kevin took the challenge and created this purple beast for me. Mr. Shaw is a genius! My son Josh and I went to the shop this morning, plugged in a humbucker guitar and cranked it up. WOW--it was all there: the beautiful harmonics and overtones were inspiring!

I am currently doing several recording projects in my studio: some for me and some for other folks. This new monster adds the ingredients to the soup that, so far, I've only gotten from using pedals. I am back to just a guitar, a cable and an amp for my Marshall tones...just like the old days when I first started playing in a band!


Here's Kevin's own description from his Facebook page of this yet-to-be-named beast:

"I just finished a custom amp for Jamie Harvill: a JCM800 preamp (with a few tweaks) feeding a 6V6 power section. He wanted some high gain crunch without killing the neighbors. This one measures out a little less than 20 watts. I added a 6 position tone contour switch in the preamp, which is amazingly effective at high gain, and a second stage "fat" switch. Sometimes I feel like Burger King where you can "have it your way!" Now it is off to shop to finish the case."


Thanks Kevin! Check out his website. I am going to do some audio samples of this amp in the next few weeks. They will be posted on Kevin's website at SHAW AUDIO.

No comments:

Post a Comment