Monday, June 27, 2011

A Trip Through the Heartland

Its been thirty years since I lived in the Midwest. Last week, Brenda and I made a loop from Nashville to Columbus, Ohio, then to Cleveland, Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and back home.

Taking the trip helped confirm the affection I've always had for the heartland, ever since I first arrived in Columbus in January, 1980. The hard-working, clean-living people of the this part of the country left an indelible imprint on the heart of a bright-eyed 19 year old from southern California. When I first came to Ohio (our production company was based in Columbus) to play music, I was not only enchanted by the beautiful farmland that rolled on forever, but I was also impressed by the generosity of the people. I was astonished at how these tough folks could endure the unpredictable winters they were given, year after year. I learned several things during my three-year stay in Ohio. One of the most valuable was: don't let challenges define you, but allow difficulties to refine you and make you a better person. I witnessed a tough, resilient people make a beautiful life out of struggles with the earth, the weather and the gamble inherent in farming.

Even when we would travel through the Canadian heartland back in the day--to play fairs and exhibitions in the remotest of places one could imagine--the people were so gracious. I remember that Canadians, especially, would be very reserved during our performances but would stun us afterward when they gushed and expressed how much they loved our music. They adored country music, especially the old stuff.

Our trip last week was unforgettable. I am pleased that I could share the experience with my bride--I had yet to meet her until 1983 when I relocated to Mobile, Alabama to play with the group, Truth. Brenda took some great photos and is as impressed with the beautiful Midwest as I am. Thanks to our dear friends Wes and Heidi Turner, and my old boss, Gary Henley, for showing us such generous hospitality while in Columbus. We'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment