Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Artist: Early Influences



I've been thinking lately about how music has affected my life. Like many who find themselves as professional musicians and songwriters in middle age, there must have been a powerful influence early-on that propelled us into this crazy life--even after various career near-death experiences. What is it that keeps us going?

I was talking to a friend and frequent worship band member Sunday who told me how his dad's record collection had a strong influence on him becoming a musician. He talked of sitting transfixed, looking at record jackets and listening to those classic 70s tunes. He pointed out that it was not just the songs but the sound of each instrument that created such wonder. Like me, those experiences launched my friend into the trajectory as a musician, ultimately landing him in Nashville. 

Each artistic person I meet seems to have had an indelible childhood experience. The emotions we felt then, even as early as infancy, are still alive many years later. As a musician and songwriter, I find myself attempting to re-create those visceral emotions in others. If I can accomplish that goal, I feel I've succeeded as an artist.

Look for part 2 of The Artist in my next blog. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment