Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe For Happiness



I was stopped in my tracks Sunday morning after I dragged my guitar, amp and pedals through the side door at church. My 5:30 AM alarm seemed rude that morning, stealing precious sleep that my body craved. Reluctantly, I made my way to the stage and to my spot by 7:00, where I would spend the next four and a half hours, until the morning's worship sets were completed.

Coming through door, and a few steps behind me was the acoustic guitar player, Steve. Just after him came Jon. Jon is a bass player from England. Listening to him greet everyone in his British accent is always refreshing and pleasant. As we found our places and unpacked the gear, he asked me how my week had been. I gave the lame answer that my week went fairly well, that it was filled with trying to make a living.

Jon's reply floored me. "Isn't life funny," he said, looking at me straight in the eye, "when you have security you look for adventure, and when you have adventure, you look for security?" I thought about it for a split second, and the truth of his seemingly nonchalant statement said a whole lot about about my lack of faith specifically, and the fickle nature of humanity in general. I asked myself, "Will I ever be happy with where I am in life? When will I ever be content?" I don't know why, but I seem to come back to this lessen more often than I'd like to admit. God has a way of schooling me when I least expect it.

I thought about the Apostle Paul and one of the greatest statements about contentment I've ever seen. In Philippians 4:10-13, he writes:
"I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength (NIV)."
 Then I remembered one of my favorite quotes from J. Kenfield Morley:

"I believe the recipe for happiness is just enough money to pay the monthly bills you acquire, a little surplus to give you confidence, a little too much work each day, enthusiasm for your work, a substantial share of good health, a couple of real friends and a wife and children to share life's beauty with you."
 Thank you Jon for reminding me that no matter where God leads in life, He has me firmly in His grip. One day life may be full of challenges and the craving for security. The next, we may have more money than we need (wake me up, I'm dreaming!), yet we are still yearning for adventure. God will take care of us, as we trust Him.

God, this week I want to enjoy the journey, filled with contentment and thankfulness for this day. Tomorrow has plenty worry of it's own, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Isn't it amazing that a sentence spoken from a fellow musician in a matter of seconds can change my my day, and even the way I look at life? Maybe security and adventure can co-exist while allowing God to meet the deepest desires of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Jamie, for such a wonderful post.
    Great reading. Have a wonderful week. Ray B.

    ReplyDelete