Friday, May 20, 2011

On Live Performance

Performing is what makes the trouble of planning, travel, rehearsal and sound check worth it. Writing and recording are the other aspects of music I love. When I perform, I am aware that each audience is unique; the same group of people will never assemble like this again. Isn't it funny that you can sing the same songs, with the same musical and technical elements, and each audience will react in a different way?

When I play guitar in a band setting, and am not leading or singing, I get the opportunity to look out into the audience and take mental notes of the human landscape. Its kind of like when you travel in the back seat of a car as a passenger without having the responsibility of driving, and you notice things you never could if you were at the helm. As I scan the audience, even if I am not looking at particular people, the audience feels like I'm looking right into their eyes. I love to make connections like that. I love performing in front of people, and I especially love it when the audience and performer become one. That's when the fun stuff begins!

James Taylor is a master at drawing-in his audience. I had the opportunity to see him in concert several years ago. His "awe shucks" demeanor during his performance is endearing. He is a master at disarming his listeners. That way we can relax, take it all in, and fall into the sweet abyss of emotion as he sings the soundtrack of our lives.

James says in the video below that a live performance is a common emotional experience for the performer and the audience. Yes, as performers, we must get ready, practice and prepare for the performance. But we must surrender to the moment--to be present in our live performances. That's why each performance, even though they contain the same elements, can be received and enjoyed in various ways by different audiences.

In the video below, James is promoting his Carnegie Hall performances from earlier this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment