Monday, May 30, 2011

Doors

I love Memorial Day, the symbolic doorway to summer and all the promise it brings: warm weather, travel, backyard barbecues, and opportunities to visit family. I also enjoy when Labor Day rolls around; the doorway to fall opens with it's own opportunities. I guess I like the thought of doors and doorways because they are always leading into something new and exciting.

Doors are intimidating. There are three ways to deal with a door: 1) Open it and walk through; 2) Stand there, knock, and wait for someone on the other side to open it, or; 3) Turn and walk away. The intimidating part is what lies beyond the threshold on the other side. Is it the boogeyman, a challenge, a burden, a surprise? Or is it a new opportunity--an entree into something fresh and exciting?

Today is the first day of the summer season and, coincidentally, the first day of a new journey for me. I have been praying for God's leading over the past several months and have made some changes in my professional life that, in the implementation, have opened new doors into the future.

I am re-energized about writing. My songwriting is still a very crucial part of my creative life. But to add to that, I have been writing this blog and have also been putting together a book for over a year now. The passageways that I am walking through are leading to new ones. I feel like Don Adams in the intro segment of the old Get Smart series--I'm sure the journey will be replete with many more exciting doors to open. Life has never been dull for me!

I also want to pause today and remember the fallen American heroes in every war, conflict and peace-time effort, who sacrificed their lives to keep our nation free--at home and abroad. My dad served in both WWII and the Korean War. I am thankful that he came home, otherwise I wouldn't be here today. But many others perished and were left behind in a foreign land. Some died right here on their own soil to protect our freedoms. All of these sacrifices made by men and women over the centuries have afforded me the opportunity to pursue the dreams I speak of today. The doors I walk through are made possible by many people, most of whom I will never meet. Thank you for your sacrifice.

So as I walk along the path, I have the responsibility to open doors for other people to succeed and find new opportunities. What an exciting time...the open door to summer and new things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment