Monday, August 8, 2011

Stamp of Approval

I grew up in a home where approval was abundant--probably because both of my parents were raised in fractured homes where divorce carved a permanent scar in both of their hearts. Therefore, they knew the importance of encouragement, and I'm grateful for it. But just because we heard encouragement while growing up doesn't mean we don't need it anymore as adults.

The Bible speaks of encouraging words as gold and silver: Proverbs 25:11 states, "Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances. (NASB)" I believe we have the power to bless other people with encouraging words or curse with negative ones. One blessing that came to me in my early years helped to steer me forward into a music career.

It was Columbus, Ohio in 1980 or 1981, where I came in contact with a brilliant trombonist, and arranger named Stan Morse. He had played in several world-renowned big bands and had worked in television before he became the arranger for American Entertainment Productions. One day in rehearsal he leaned over and whispered in my ear, "You've got what it takes; your gonna make it in music!" Those words gave me the courage to endure in the ensuing years when, at times, I felt like getting off of the rough and tumble road of professional music.

I recently heard Rock and Roll Hall of Fame musician Chris Hillman, from the Byrds and other assorted folk-rock and country outfits, talk of the importance of encouraging words in his own life. He was in LA in the late 60s and had just finished a show at one of southern California's premier country music performance venues. As his band was taking a break from their set, a tall, bear-of-a-shadow enveloped him from behind, and a large hand appeared on his right shoulder. Looking backward toward the source, Hillman was surprised to see his childhood TV hero, Tex Ritter, whom he had never met, looming over him. Tex said something like, "Keep it up young man, you're gonna make it in this business!" Those life-giving words helped drive Hillman forward as an architect of the country rock sound that flooded California and the world in years to come.

I don't know why some people refuse to encourage others. Maybe because they don't want to seem vulnerable or "soft." Maybe because they never knew encouragement themselves. I believe it is my duty to help others if it is in my power to do so. The Bible states in James 4:17, "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them (NIV)." I believe it is important that we, especially as Christians, give encouragement and mentoring when the opportunity arises. We will probably never know the blessing we deposit in the hearts of people when we are obedient to the opportunity.

Be a mentor to someone. There maybe a person out there today--and it maybe your own child--who needs your stamp of approval.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME BLOG! Thanks Jamie, I really needed that bit of encouragement to be more encouraging. I spend most of my day encouraging in a negative way without ever giving words of encouragement, just ask my family! When given the opportunity to encourage, I usually say something like, “That’s good……BUT…….” Maybe I need to learn to say “That’s Good!” and leave my “but” out of it!!! Thanks for the “James” type of encouragement I need it

    ReplyDelete