Monday, August 15, 2011

There Goes the Neighborhood!

My neighborhood is filled with musicians. Unlike most American communities, we have sound guys, managers, producers, arrangers, singers, songwriters, recording engineers, and musicians of every stripe and style making their home here. Thirty miles south of Nashville, we live in a small town called Spring Hill, just on the outer edge of what Music City offers in the way of shopping, food and entertainment. We just choose to live a little further out of the craziness in a quaint, sleepy hamlet. You see, those who play in touring bands with the big acts, along with all of the peripheral supply persons for the music industry, escape to somewhere...and they all seem to live here in my little town!

I say "they" but it is really "we." As a songwriter and a studio player myself, I am one of those crazy musician types who stand in line at Home Depot, or grab a bite to eat at Cracker Barrel. Its just that the folks I'm talking about have hairdos and tattoos that are hard to miss. Its not unusual to see a country or a Christian music artist driving around town or getting a to-go coffee at Starbucks. The locals don't do double-takes anymore because they are used to it. Its not uncommon for me to hear the muffled yet prominent sounds of a recording session emanating from a few of the homes on my daily walking route. Again, the neighbors kind of expect it. I have yet to hear my neighbors complain as I crank-up the guitar amps during recording sessions in my own home (Its amazing how many famous records have been recorded in neighborhoods just like mine).

I prefer the relative quiet of my little neighborhood. I also appreciate the inclusiveness that our town offers the many musicians here. I know I live in an unusual place. Its not strange, just not like anywhere else--except for maybe New York or LA. The big exception is that you can actually raise a family here with great schools, churches and amenities--all the while enjoying the wide-open spaces that middle Tennessee offers.

I'll miss it when "riff-raff" like accountants and business-types move in. Then we can say, "There goes the neighborhood!"

No comments:

Post a Comment