Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Case For Angels



Last year Brenda and I walked away from a car accident that would surely have killed us if God hadn't have settled our out-of-control car onto the median of an interstate highway, out of the way of oncoming traffic. We both crawled from the driver-side window into safety.

How many times have you avoided catastrophe in your life? I bet many times you never saw it coming and probably didn't even realize you were in harm's way until afterward, when you stared chillingly into the tragedy that could have been. Like Mr. Magoo, we blindly walk through life, unaware of the many dangers that zoom right past us.

I saw a video on the web today where a lady was just missed being crushed by two cars that collided in an intersection and bounced up on the sidewalk where she was walking. Supposedly, 15 seconds into the video, an angel swooped-in to rescue her (I couldn't make it out on my screen). Even if it was faked--made up by some skilled special effects computer wiz--it still reminded me of the daily miracles we experience, even those that happen when we aren't paying attention.

I believe in angels. Why? Because God's Word has much to say about them. Have I seen one? I don't know, but I hear that they sometimes blend right in as regular humans, sent to do God's work. Angels will never bring attention to themselves because they are there to bring glory to God and to do His bidding (Psalm 103:19-22).

The word "angel" actually comes from the Greek word aggelos, which means “messenger.” The matching Hebrew word mal'akh has the same meaning.  God dispatches these heavenly messengers to intervene in our earthly lives, and it probably happens to us without our knowledge.

I can look back in my life and soberly recount the instances where it was probably an angel sent by God that saved me from an otherwise deadly fate. I bet you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment