Monday, January 9, 2012

John Stanko: Five Regrets



My friend, John Stanko, has been sending out "Monday Memos" for years. I am on his email list and am encouraged each time I receive one. John was my boss back in the 90s when I traveled the U.S. with Integrity Music's Worship International, conducting workshops in churches as a speaker and musician.

John's workshop classes back then were always encouraging and very funny. His emphasis on discovering ones life purpose challenged me, and has helped me define my own life journey and purpose. I encourage you to check out his website and to subscribe to his Monday Memo. The following is John's latest Memo. It always grabs my attention when the heading says something about regret and dying. I hope you enjoy and benefit from this today.  ________________________________________________

The Five Regrets of the Dying

I found a link to an article over the holidays and wanted to share it first chance I had, so this looks like a good week.  It's written by an Australian woman, Bronnie Ware, and can be found in its entirety here.  I will summarize the five points of her article "The Five Regrets of The Dying," and focus on one point in particular.

THE FIVE REGRETS
Here are the five regrets that Bronnie discovered in working with those patients close to death over the years:
  1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
  3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Here is what Ware had to say about the first point, the courage to be true to self and not others:
This was the most common regret of all. When people realize that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people have had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

DON'T LET IT BE YOUR REGRET
It takes courage to be true to yourself and who God created you to be. Before David went out to fight Goliath, King Saul tried to have David wear his (Saul's) battle armor.  Saul was a tall man, however, and the armor didn't fit.  David did not try and please the king. Instead he rejected the armor and took along his sling shot, something that was more true to who he was.  His success is legendary (see 1 Samuel 17:38-40).

Are you wearing someone else's armor?  If you are, then you are headed for the number one regret expressed by the dying.  Don't do it!  I cannot say what you should do, but I can only urge you to follow your heart and stop living your life for someone else, unless however it is for the Lord.  I was challenged by this list and I hope you are, too.  Now get about the work of living before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment