Friday, January 27, 2012

Tennessee Crossroads and California's Gold



I'm looking forward to visiting friends and family on our next trip to California in June. As a native of southern California, I have always been curious about it's history, people, geography and interesting places to visit.

While on a visit to my old stomping grounds in Orange County a few years ago, I told my cousin about a show I love back home on our Nashville PBS station called "Tennessee Crossroads." My cousin suggested I check out their local show called "California's Gold, " one that sounded very similar to "Crossroads." I immediately went to the internet and found listings for "Gold's" current showtimes, along with a bio of it's host, Huell Howser.

It's obvious that Howser isn't from California at all (it's not difficult to figure out after hearing his Southern drawl). According to the bio, his television career began here in Nashville at WSM-TV.  While a reporter for WSM, he began a series of "human interest" stories presented during daily news broadcasts. His segments highlighted interesting people and places in and around middle Tennessee; he became extremely popular.

Howser  later moved from his native Tennessee to join WCBS-TV in New York City. He migrated to Los Angeles in 1981 to work as a reporter for KCBS-TV. Then in 1987 he joined the public television station KCET/Los Angeles to produce a series of short programs featuring the stories of people from all walks of life throughout "The Golden State." The show morphed into "California's Gold" and has been going strong ever since.

It all makes sense now. "Tennessee Crossroads," one of my favorite weekly shows, has sort of a connection to my home state. As a fairly new resident of middle Tennessee (going on 11 years), I want to learn all about this area. In fact, my family on both sides originated from middle Tennessee. My Great Grandmother was born in the very county where I live today. Like Howser, "Tennessee Crossroads" host Joe Elmore has a folksy demeanor and skillfully draws the viewer into each week's show.

I never plan on leaving Tennessee. But when I visit California, I know I'll be tuning into "California's Gold" every chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment