Monday, January 23, 2012

Strawberry Shakes



I've got a new favorite: strawberry shakes from Sonic. I got home from church Sunday and knew that by day's end,  I'd have to take a trip to my favorite Spring Hill ice cream place.

I know...shakes are full of calories; full of bad stuff that I shouldn't allow in my presence--let alone in my belly. But that sweet, creamy, cold concoction can make a gloomy day bright. So I seized the opportunity and, after his nap, invited my dad as an accomplice in my little ice cream scheme.

Pop and I pulled up to Sonic. I leaned out, ordered him a chocolate malt and a strawberry shake for me. After the car hop brought the treats, dad and I sat there listening to the 40s channel on my Sirius XM radio, and promptly finished the drinks.

Sometimes I take little times like this for granted, but not last night. Dad and I had a great time together. He told me of the days, back in the 30s and 40s, when he would order a double-decker hamburger and a malt at the original Bob's Big Boy restaurant for under a dollar. It's always fun to catch my dad when the memories flow freely.

There we were in my car, emptying a strawberry shake and a chocolate malt--listening to Billie Holiday, Artie Shaw and the Mills Brothers--watching the rain roll through Spring Hill, Tennessee, on a Sunday evening. Money can't buy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment