Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Basking In Reflective Glory

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that Hitler's violin from his art school days was found in a fiddle shop in North Carolina a few years ago. The story is fascinating. I have always been intrigued with historical artifacts. The item itself may be unimpressive but it's provenance is obviously what creates the value.

When I was a kid my dad had a friend who was a buddy to Cliff Edwards, the voice for the character of Jiminy Cricket through the 1960s. On the wall of our family friend's living room hung the ukulele once owned and played by Mr. Edwards. Every time we visited I went straight for Jiminy Cricket's "little guitar." I must admit, I felt important just beholding it--connecting me in some way to Jiminy, Disney, and Pinocchio.

When we acquire things of historical significance, and display them proudly, we are basking in the reflective glory of it's past owner. There is something empowering about it. I watched a documentary this week about the auctioning of items from the entire Star Trek TV and movie franchise. People were bidding tens of thousands of dollars to snag a prop or a piece of clothing worn by an actor. In one case, the Ressikan flute, prized by Patrick Stewart's character in The Next Generation, sold for over $40,000. Stewart later commented with laughter, "It doesn't play; it's not a real flute."

I could poke fun at the ridiculous purchase. But I am holding tight to my glass guitar slide once owned by Duane Allman from the Allman Brothers Band. There's something cool about holding an iconic item the guitar legend used at one time. I really don't think it will make me play any better, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment