Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On!

An old friend from Mobile used to tell me, "Whatever can be shaken, will be shaken." That which is not fastened down will blow away when the wind gets going. The same is true for our lives--whatever can be tested, will be tested.

As I said in an earlier blog, God is a proponent of resistance training. He uses the ups and downs of life to train us toward godliness. The muscles we build through the life-struggles we all experience create endurance that will help us stay "in the game" longer.

Our pastor started a three-week series Sunday entitled, Unwavering. The scripture that headed the outline was Hebrews 12:26-29:

At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens." The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire."


God has constructed a kingdom that cannot be shaken. Therefore, as it's citizens, we must be a sturdy, stalwart people. There ain't no weaklings allowed! So, God permits challenges to enter our lives so that we might attain a steadfast spirit (Psalm 51:10). His holy fire burns away the chaff in our lives-- the fluff--so that what is left is eternal.

Like you, I hate discomfort. I really need to hit the treadmill tonight before bed so that I can keep on the right track with regard to my health and fitness. I enjoy it when people notice that I have lost weight--35 pounds, to be exact! The result of hard work has become my reward. The results also help me to keep going. In the same way, God wants us to keep going, even when it seems we can't take another step. He promises that it will all pay off in the end.

Encourage the exhausted, and strengthen the feeble. Say to those with anxious heart, "Take courage, fear not. Behold, your God will come with vengeance; The recompense of God will come, But He will save you." Isaiah 35:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment