Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reasons For Seasons

All right, I've heard enough complaining about the heat. The temperature is dancing around 100 degrees. Yesterday, the "feels like" temp was 117. I heard the hottest day on record in North America was 134 degrees in Death Valley, CA, on my birthday in 1913. I don't think middle Tennessee will get that high, but I swear it feels close.

Seasons are here for a purpose. California, my home state, only has two seasons: great and not-so-great. Tennessee has four distinct seasons and it's one of the true pleasures of living here. We always have something to look forward to as the weather changes. It being August, the fall is right around the corner. Oakland comes to play our beloved Titans on September 12th. I can't wait! The leaves change, I bring out the long sleeves--and best of all, I get to retire the lawn mower until spring.

Then the cold comes. And, after Christmas, the long-haul of January through March helps us look forward to the warmth again. What would life be like without change--without ups and downs, without the straight and the curved roads of life? I imagine it would be like eating the same thing everyday for every meal. Even my favorite food would be a bore after a while.

The variety of seasons generate in me a hope for tomorrow. I have always tried to enjoy the season that is upon me. I like to get all I can out of it because the weather's gonna change soon. Life is like that: enjoy family, togetherness, food, friends, music and just plain-ol' living because we are not promised tomorrow. I will live today as if it's my my last. I will go out there in the stifling heat, count to ten, and then race right back into the cool comfort of my home and look forward to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment