Monday, August 16, 2010

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast

Why am in such a hurry? Brenda looks at me often with that "you are out of control" look that only she can give me. I admit it, I don't like to wait. I know it's ultimately a spiritual problem. At the least, my impatience is a personal flaw--unfinished business I revisit, and fail to resolve, several times a day.

I get nervous when I drive up to a restaurant and there is a line of people waiting to get in. I hate to get in the car without a contingency plan as to where I am going and how efficiently I can get from point A to B with the least amount of wasted time and miles. As I look at it objectively, my desire to be expeditious seems ridiculous. Who really cares? Others see it as controlling. When I am looking at it through my own eyes, it seems the best way to get things done.

My flaws are glaring. I make no excuses. The Bible touts patience as virtue. Jesus was so patient that, even as insults were hurled at Him, he responded with wisdom. His lack of response was the ultimate proof of His character. Pastor Rick Warren said in a recent Tweet, "...every time you refuse to retaliate at those who make fun of you, and remain silent as Jesus did, you grow in power-Matthew 27:14."

Maintaining a calm interior, enjoying life at a slower pace, and learning to respond to the world with a patient, Godly love, is something I aspire to attain. Brenda is my hero. She is the greatest teacher of patience I know. She isn't in a hurry--trusting she'll get to her destination in due time. As she's enjoys the ride, I'm wondering if there will be enough parking when we get there...God help me!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right...My problem is I don't want to be late, so I get there 20 minutes or more early! May God help us with our controlling ways! Thanks for sharing!

    Beverly Prater

    ReplyDelete