Wednesday, November 23, 2011

All I Really Need To Know in Life, I Learned In A Band

Well, now that I see the title, the subject really seems a little provocative. I didn't mean for that to happen, but if you have have been reading this so far, maybe it was worth the miscommunication. Of course, not "all of life" is contained here, but it's a good start.

I spent six years, non-stop, on the road. All during that time I never unpacked my suitcase completely. Even when I went to my parent's home on a break, I kept everything in my familiar traveling box. The tough thing about traveling in a band are the tight quarters and lack of privacy. Because of this challenge, I learned the art of getting along with people--all kinds of people. To survive, I had to surrender and give up my way to make way for the group. Yes, I had to compromise. I want to humbly share a few nuggets of wisdom I learned while rolling down the endless highway and traversing the airways around the globe, playing in a band.

1. Be kind

Understanding, grace, forgiveness and patience, among other virtues, all come to mind while living close to others. Most days in a band are cool. But when it's your turn to have a bad day, you want others to show you kindness. Honor the personal space of others.

2. Go the extra mile

Help carry the luggage for the girls in your band; open doors for them. Keep extras in your gear box for when others are in a fix, like extra picks, strings, batteries, etc. Volunteer to do the dirty work like stacking gear in the equipment truck and loading luggage under the bus.


3. Be on-time

The chronically late disrespect others with their behavior. They lose trust and it impacts relationships. Show the rest of the band how important they are by respecting the call-time. Be early!

4. Always tune-up

I think I spend more time tuning than playing. In life it's important to always be tuning-up our relationships (be aware of my surroundings and the people in them). My relationship to God is most important. If everyone tunes to the same pitch, life is so much better in a band!

5. Hang out with the crew

The crew is your greatest ally; they can make or break you in performance. The best friendships I ever made on the road were with behind-the-scenes people. After a show, ride the bus with the crew. It'll be hilarious and you'll always have folks watching out for you. Dis the crew and you'll soon be out of the band!


6. Be the person others want on their team

Be a person others are grateful for--thankful for the excellence you bring with regard to playing, singing and performing.  You help take the band to the next level and you're a joy to be around.

7. Know your limits but always strive for improvement

Don't drag the band down by promising what you can't deliver in performance. Always be learning new things (listening to new sounds, styles, gear, etc.), Don't settle into stagnation, Grow, grow, grow!

8. Learn the importance of deodorant

Practice good hygiene. Learn how to dress for success in the band. Most social situations will have an unwritten dress code--learn it as fast as you can. Don't totally "give up" on off days. Others still have to live with you in close proximity.

9. Be a giver

Be on the look-out for ways to bless others. Don't be the jerk who always lets someone else pick up their tab. Look for ways to anonymously make someone's day. It'll be a double blessing.

10. Respect the road manager

We may not always agree with the decisions of our bosses, but be the one who makes their job a little easier through compliance. They have responsibilities and commitments to people and things that don't always flow into our personal orbit. So understanding goes a long way with them. Don't sit back and watch injustices pile-up, either. Respectfully and privately convey your grievances, and don't be a chronic complainer.

11. Know when to leave the band

We all come to the end of a job. We either outgrow the band or the band outgrows us. Maybe it's just time to move on to a new place. Bring it to an end gracefully. If you are a valuable team member, the news will always hit hard. Give proper notice, speak judiciously to others about it, don't burn bridges, and, if at all possible, create a lasting legacy that will dispel negative talk after you're gone.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie...young man...or younger man that you are. You took the words right out of my mouth. Great words of wisdom from one who has been there and played that. My experience was eight years straight working out of a suitcase with 6 summers and a bunch of put togethers and Ernie shows thrown in. Love how you write, my friend.
    Wes

    ReplyDelete