Saturday, November 12, 2011

Full Number-Ones

Yesterday, after jumping out of the shower, the clock read 11:10. I had to wait a minute to solemnly celebrate the moment of full number-ones on the clock to match the the 11-11-11 on the calendar. Just like when the Millennium came and went--11 years ago--I felt nothing!
Tom Harvill 1944-'45

I was fully aware that it was Veterans Day, though. 67 years ago, on 11-11-1944, my dad took a bus to somewhere in Los Angeles and, along with his other teenaged comrades, joined the Navy for the final year of WWII. Dad not only served the remainder of the war, but was called back to serve in the Korean War, too. I am very proud of him.

My mom and dad were only married a short time when he had to go back in to the service. I can't imagine the horror of many a young bride who suffered the news of losing their loved one on a foreign battlefield, or anywhere, for that matter. Thankfully, my mom never had to receive that news. Dad came back from two wars and, as a result, I was born in 1960.

Thanks dad, and all of the other veterans who served our country bravely and unselfishly. God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment