Friday, November 4, 2011

Danger: Leftover Halloween Candy

We are still devouring the candy leftover from Halloween. We only had about 20 kids come to the door this year, proving that the local churches have done a good job stealing the Trick-Or-Treaters from the streets to partake in community fall festivals. The problem with leftover candy is that I just can't walk by the candy bowl without giving it a stir and snagging my favorite sweets--a billion times a day.

My dad, who is living with us now, admitted to me this morning that he and my mom rummaged through our candy sacks as kids, the night of each Halloween, to confiscate the more desirable delights for themselves. The next morning, neither me nor my brothers ever had a clue that we'd been bamboozled!

My favorite Halloween fare these days is candy corn. My daughter-in-law, Amber, has
upped the ante and added peanuts and candy corn together to make a delectable and deadly mixture of sweet and salty. I am two-thirds through the plastic container she sent over via Josh, and I just can't say "no" to that pesky, delicious concoction.

The  problem is that, as soon as Halloween is over, Christmas is upon us. Christmas candy is the toughest to avoid, not to mention the seasonal supply of eggnog and boiled custard winking at me from the grocery milk section. What to do?

Even though I feel guilty as the Halloween candy is being consumed, and the fallen sugar-high leaves me lifeless and sprawled-out in the recliner, the guilt of not eating the leftovers proves to be a more formidable opponent. So we just resign and pick through that blasted bowl of goodness till the very last wrapper is tossed. After all, we need to make room for the peanut brittle Betsy's in-laws have promised us before Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment