Friday, December 30, 2011

2011: A Year of Faith



This year has been one of transition for us. I left my position as worship leader in May, a God-assignment I had for seven years. My dad had heart surgery and came to permanently live with us in July. My brother Jon and I put dad's house in North Carolina on the market in November. All of these changes involved faith.

The opportunity to exercise faith is a two-edged sword: on one side, it's a chance to grow and go places spiritually that I've never been; on the other side, life can get tough and uncomfortable when you decide to walk out on a faith-limb. Everything--finances, timing, ministry assignments, career--is left there in the hands of God.

The decision to trust God means I cannot depend on my own sight, intuition, experience, common sense, etc.. The process is one that I wouldn't recommend to the faint of heart. The Scripture passage in Hebrews 11:6 states, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (NIV)"

Something comes to mind when I think of walking in faith--a scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. In order to reach the Holy Grail, Indy must traverse a deep chasm. There are no stairs, no suspension bridge or ropes to help him across. His father's diary--the source from which he gathers the information on how to cross the impossible breach--requires him to take a leap of faith.

"Impossible," Indy says. "Nobody can jump this! It's a leap of Faith." "You must believe, boy!" cries Dad from his deathbed. "You must believe!"
Indy stepped forward onto an invisible walkway. Through faith, he made it across. Like Indy, God will make a way for us where there seems to be no way. Isaiah 43:19 says, "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. (NIV)"

In 2011, God encouraged Brenda and I to take steps toward the impossible--to places we never would have gone on our own. We have likened this adventure to packing up and taking a ship to another land. We have to believe that, as God calls, He wants us to trust. Joshua 1:9 says: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (NIV)”

With this encouragement, we will continue to walk in faith. We have seen many miracles appear before our eyes in 2011. 2012 looks to be a landmark year for us, too. Keep reading these posts in the coming year and you can keep up with our exciting journey.

May God richly bless and strengthen you and your loved ones in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment