Monday, December 26, 2011

Southern Rock At It's Best

I have enjoyed a lot of concert broadcasts over the past few months on HDNet and the Audience Network (DirecTV). Just last night, while surfing the TV on Christmas Eve, my son-in-law, Adam, and I stumbled upon a live concert. We were pleasantly surprised by the Atlanta band, Blackberry Smoke (BBS).

These guys look like something out of California Jam, 1974--with their long hair, bell-bottom jeans and mutton-chops. Their sound is totally southern rock, and, as performers, song writers, singers and players, they are probably the best act of their kind touring today. I saw The Allman Brothers a few years ago; even with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks on guitars, I think BBS gives them a run for their money! BBS even worked their way through an excellent cover of The Allman Brothers' "Midnight Rider" during the concert last night.

I cut my teeth on the Charlie Daniels Band, The Outlaws, Skynyrd,  ZZ Top, The Allman Brothers, Great Southern, etc., and, in my opinion, BBS stands up to any southern rock outfit past and present; their status has yet to catch-up with their abilities.

As you know, I often like to recommend bands and singers here on my blog, but I do not--in any way--endorse their extra curricular behavior!

These guys have been cruising under the radar for over ten years now. I think it is time they make a dent in the music industry. Hey, if Zac Brown and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top love these guys--and you love guitar rock with boogie-woogie piano, and tube-driven Hammond organ swirl, killer songs, solos and singing--you should give Blackberry Smoke a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment