Friday, December 2, 2011

'Til the Next Gas Station

The melancholic afternoon shadows and crisp, cool evenings of late help create a backdrop for reflective inner dialog about the future. I had a relaxing, wonderful summer and fall, but now it's time to make some decisions.

I came upon a couple of videos today promoting a new music software that features Nashville drummer Harry Stinson and producer/engineer Chuck Ainlay. Both guys gushed about the virtues of Nashville, from a creative and personal perspective (I heartily agree!). Stinson said that he came to a place in his career, back in the mid-70s, where he felt stagnant and ready to get to a new level. He soon received a call from the folk/rock group America to fill-in for their drummer, who had an accident and needed to leave the road. Harry's name came up in conversation as a great replacement. He had 24 hours to get ready. So he gathered up all of the America records he could find, met the band in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, spent a meager hour and a half in rehearsal, did the show that night, and finished up the tour. What a cool place to be in life: ready, at the right time and place, when opportunity comes knocking!

Living in a community like Nashville, it's easy to forget that this a very special and unique place. It's also a tough place if you are here to make a living as a musician. I, too, am ready for the next season of my career. I am doing my best to stay adept at my craft, even though, at times, it's easy to get discouraged. This small bit of encouragement from Harry and Chuck today was like a drink of cold water. Sometimes I'm tempted to pack it in and try to make a living with something non-musical altogether. But really... what would I do? This is all I know; I've been playing music professionally since 1980. Sometimes it takes even a YouTube video to realize that I'm doing exactly what I should be: writing, playing, producing and looking to God for sustenance.

A musician's life is like a crazy adventure where you just start driving, don't ever look back in the rear-view mirror, and enjoy the ride until your gas light comes on. Just when it seems like the adventure's over, miraculously, there's a gas station right over the hill. You get filled up again and head back out on the highway!

No comments:

Post a Comment