Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Necessary Rest

In May of 2011 I left the position of worship leader at a church--a job I was blessed to have for almost seven years. For a year-and-a-half before that, I played guitar there as a hired gun almost every weekend. So altogether, I was blessed with over eight years at the church.

It was my decision to end it. Some smarter folks than I would probably stay-on because of the security factor, but I needed to close the curtain when the show was over. I was tired and uninspired. The drive was 40 minutes each way. Some weekends I had to travel 320 miles to complete the schedule of services, and then I was back in my cubicle on Monday morning to start it all over again. After eight years, I was thankful for the opportunity to serve these saints--to learn so much about managing a large congregation (7,000 attendees) and the resultant weekly ministry responsibilities. But I knew my position there had run it's course, so I put in my resignation.

The tricky part was: I didn't have any clue what was next. My greatest concern was that I get back to balance again and go from there. Because of some savings and income from songwriting and production, Brenda and I could make it through financially without the church income... for a few months, anyway. Little did we know that several months later we would still be praying for the next chapter to open up.

In the mean time, we visited churches all over the greater Nashville area, giving little thought to anything close to home. One Sunday in July, we decided to visit a church around the corner from our neighborhood. We had seen the growth of that little church from it's inception--meeting in a high school--to it's full-blown campus, beautifully crafted out of an empty Kroger grocery store. We walked in, loved the folks, the pastor, the worship, the vibe, and were generally blown away. Could a wonderful place like this be so close to home?

Since that day, Brenda, my dad and I have called The People's Church of Spring Hill home. Like all ministers, I needed a break and, for months, sat with the congregation to regain my strength. Just a month-or-so ago I started playing and singing on the worship team. I feel refreshed and energized, and am grateful to be back in the game!

Every minister needs a break. It's dangerous for our families, churches and our health to keep plodding-through without a time of refreshing. I am thankful for the break I've had, and I'm excited about 2012 and all that God is doing.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Too many are no longer "ministering" because they are legitimately tired and need a serious refreshing, but are too worried about provision to pull the trigger. So happy for you and your family in every way. New worship will be birthed out of His rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you listened to what God, your body, your spirit, and your schedule was telling you. Your faith in this matter is inspiring. The People's Church is blessed as are you for waiting on the Lord!
    I hope we get to sing together again some day!

    ReplyDelete