Friday, July 9, 2010

Bone Tone

Guitar players, and instrumentalists in general, have one thing in common: bone tone. When I put together the gear page for my website, I included my personal definition of this term that Norm Stockton (bass player I knew from my days with Maranatha! Music and Worship Leader Workshops) introduced me to almost 15 years ago.

BONE-TONE: definition- The unique musical tone that emanates from an individual's hands and fingers. It is equal parts heart, soul, touch, experience, pain, joy, passion, inspiration, expertise and God's anointing. Bone-tone comes through even when the player is using someone else's rig.

I listen to my favorite guitar players like Billy Gibbons, Larry Carlton, Mark Goldenberg, Mike Campbell, Steve Lukather, Michael Landau, etc., and try hard to emulate their tone. I know that every aspect of their set-up, how they pick the strings, the energy of any given audience, all contribute to the unique signature of each player. Even if I were to copy the rig of my favorite players, my tone always seems to jump out. I want their tone to jump out! I know that I will always play with my own unique voice.

In the current edition of Vintage Guitar magazine (Sept. 2010) there is a generous tribute to guitarist and former handyman from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, Joe Negri, now in his early 80's. Bob Benedetto, the man who built Joe's current guitar, says of the accomplished guitarist,

"When you listen to Joe play, you're hearing refinement, complete professionalism. I can't even describe it. It's beyond just saying he's a great player, or this and that--just a refined, tasteful first-class player."
I think this is the goal of every serious musician--to be refined and tasteful.

The most important aspect of a guitarist in a band is not how great a certain tone is by itself, but how that tone contributes to the song in conjunction with the other players and their parts. Any seasoned picker will tell you that less is more. A great player knows to stop playing if the moment requires it. He is also ready, when necessary, to jump out over the band and make a statement by playing a solo or a cool rhythmic pattern.

My goal is to always be ready. I try to bring all the tools I might need to a gig--even extras in case something breaks down. The accumulation of gear isn't always the entree into good tone. It's amazing how simply playing in tune, in time and with taste can move you closer to your guitar playing fantasy. Refining your unique voice is the impetus for your musical journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment