Saturday, July 24, 2010

Picnics at Pearson Park

Last night Brenda and I went to a picnic. It was a fellowship for our worship ministry team which consists of about 100 people. Middle Tennessee in late July is hot. Nevertheless, we have annually planned this opportunity to show our appreciation to the many volunteers who comprise the engine that drives the worship at World Outreach Church in Murfreesboro. We had a giant water slide, a petting zoo, home-made ice cream and barbecue. It reminds me of the sweet summers of my childhood.

Corn on the cob, sweet iced tea with lemon--again, food is central to my memory. Many times mom and dad would go to KFC and grab a few buckets of chicken and then meet our extended family at Pearson Park in Anaheim. I remember, as a child, seeing a barbershop quartet at the amphitheater there. The park also had this great-big ball field grandstand that we would run through and hide amongst the wooden seats. I distinctly recall feeling a connection with the stadium's age (built in 1927), almost visualizing ghostly patrons of a different era gazing at a ball game long forgotten (pretty heavy for an elementary-aged kid...). We also played tag around the water gardens (created by the founder of the 'boysenberry,' Mr. Rudy Boyson in 1921). The park also had a "plunge" that was filled daily with fresh water. We would all pay an entrance fee of a quarter (or something close to that) and spend the rest of the afternoon playing in the water and sun until our skin was burned or our parents ran out of conversation--whichever came first-- then piled in the car and headed home.

These times with family all created a sense of belonging in my soul. I looked forward to Christmas, the 4th of July, my birthday, and days at Disneyland for the same reason. I always felt cared-for, looked after and safe. In the years to come, when I would leave home and travel to distant places, far from family and friends, I would ponder these special days with family and remember that I belonged somewhere. I know when we have picnics with friends and family today, we are creating a warm memory for all of us, especially the children who will build their secure foundation on our love.


The Pearson Park lagoon has long been a favorite spot in the city. The name of the park changed from City Park to Pearson Park in 1960 to honor Anaheim's longtime mayor.
(Courtesy of Anaheim Public Information.)

No comments:

Post a Comment