Tuesday, July 20, 2010

On Purpose

Most of my communication these days involving the outside world is usually generated on a computer. I credit Facebook and Twitter for reconnecting me to the outer-reaches of my concentric circle of friends and acquaintances. Emails are still in vogue, though an old-school method of communication (progress is now measured on a nano-second growth continuum). I do subscribe to a few email lists and have Twitter/Facebook friend updates that I look forward to reading when a post comes down the wireless. I received a Tweet last week that I want to mention here regarding my purpose on earth.

The quote that hit me right between the eyes was from Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church in Orange County, California. It read, "Do what God CALLS you to do with your life and you'll succeed. Do what you think will prove your worth & you'll fail miserably." How many hours, days, weeks and years have I spent trying to prove my worth? Embarrassingly way too many. I have tried to run out ahead of God when I should have just stayed back and waited for his promotion. I thank God for redemption because it doesn't only include a life of sin, bought back, to then be used for God's purposes. It also includes believers like me who have made bad choices and need to be reunited with God's purposes for their lives. I have learned that I can't trust my own radar when it comes to sticking to the road that God has me on--if I base my worth on happiness, or the lack of it in an endeavor. Sometimes I feel bored and want to jump on another road so I can get that exhilarating feeling of a new challenge.

I believe that I am on the right track these days but I have a question of doubt sometimes when I don't see God working fast enough on my behalf (ask Brenda, my impatience is awful!). My best guide to knowing I'm living in the purpose God created for me is to see the work of my hands bring fruition in His Kingdom through the skills He gave me. I also sense a Godly wind at my back, pushing me on.

My friend, John Stanko, wrote a book about finding purpose called Life Is A Gold Mine: Can You Dig It? In it he includes several "nuggets" to determine if you are on the correct path. Some of the ones that hit me are in the form of Scripture:

Nugget Six: Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men (Proverbs 22:29). God does not promote potential, but skill and excellence.

Nugget Ten: He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son (Proverbs 10:5). You must know where to invest your time.

Nugget Twelve: By wisdom the Lord laid the earth's foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place (Proverbs 3:19). God will help you get things done.

Nugget Seventeen: A faithful man will be richly blessed, but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished (Proverbs 28:20). There are no shortcuts to success.

I pray your purpose is fulfilled this week.

1 comment: