Friday, September 10, 2010

The Delivery

A box was leaning against my front door the other day. It was a UPS delivery, reminding me that, even though I thought I was the unlucky Harvill brother, maybe my fortunes have turned.

When we were kids, Rob, Jon and I spent a few Saturdays at the Fox Fullerton theater, watching matinees. On one particular Saturday, dad drove us downtown to the theater to see a series of cartoon features. We were encouraged to put our names in for several prizes to be given away that afternoon. When we left the theater after the festivities ended, both Jon and Rob exited with toys under their arms. Unfortunately, I left empty-handed. It's silly, but I think I took that experience with me into adulthood. I felt rejection, in a way, that day. A time or two since, I considered bad luck was the reason for not getting what I desired.

A few weeks ago, I was checking out a website dedicated to 70's classic rock artists. On a side panel, I noticed an invitation to enter a drawing for a free electric guitar. The only requirement was to leave an email address and answer a seemingly simple classic rock trivia question about the singer, Meatloaf. The guitar was to be autographed by him. It was so easy--I thought it was a joke (everyone has seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show at a midnight showing as a teenager, right?).

I was surprised to receive an email a few weeks later stating that I answered the question correctly (I already knew that!), and then requested I confirm my address so they could ship me the Fender electric guitar I won. Quickly, my doubts kicked in and I thought this must be a scam. I realized after a quick visit back to the website that I wasn't being hustled, and proceeded to confirm my address to procure my winnings. I kind of forgot about it all until Brenda saw the box at the door. I knew it was the Strat, sitting there waiting for me!

Even though the guitar isn't worth very much, autograph notwithstanding, I received a wink from heaven that brought warmth to my heart. The Lord was letting me know that luck doesn't exist. He reminded me that His goodness and mercy have followed me all the days of my life--that I am a blessed man. Just look at the proof in my life that God has given me so much. He was telling me that day, "Enjoy, Jamie!"

2 comments: