Friday, September 24, 2010

Meek or Weak?

My idea of "tough guy" has changed over the years. I used to envy the kid at school who had everybody's respect by pushing them around and being a bully. The word sissy comes to mind for anyone who would not respond to his provocations. Now as an adult, I am learning the skill of restraint as Jesus taught when He referred to Himself as "meek and lowly" in Matthew 11:28, 29:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart (meek & lowly), and you will find rest for your souls."
Rest for my soul sounds like a great goal to achieve in this crazy, stress-filled world. Jesus' pathway to rest seems like it would lead to strife instead. But Jesus always provoked His audience with truth--many times through the use of opposites. He usually preached what was unexpected. That was especially true in the political climate of His day where the "logical" conclusion to the difficulties strapped upon the Jewish population by the Roman government was to retaliate. Jesus challenged His listeners to rethink their response through the message of the Sermon on the Mount, found in Matthew, chapters 5 through 7.

Matthew 5:5 is where we find Jesus' statement from the Beatitudes, "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." The Greek word for meek is praus. Many mistakenly presume that to be meek is to be a push-over. The opposite is true. There is one definition from a study of the word that , to me, stands out the most. It is the image of a rancher and his broken colt. A colt is wild and not useful to his owner until it is brought under control. The taming of a wild stallion is a stronger picture. If being meek is like a reigned-in stallion, then the actual conclusion can be made that: he who is meek represents power under control.

The opposite of meek is weak. I am useful to God when my life is reigned-in and under His control. Jesus was the greatest example of power under control. When He could have retaliated against His aggressors, He chose to restrain Himself in favor of a higher purpose. I am continuing to discover new insights into this rebel, Jesus. His message to the world usually confounds the wise. But I will continue to learn from Him because His teaching brings rest to my weary soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment