Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September of My Years

Aramis cologne, black and white TV, Jobim's Bossa Nova beat, starched white shirts with black skinny ties and Sinatra's September of My Years. These are memories of my childhood. My dad would sing along with these songs while they were playing on the stereo in our living room. The wisdom of the lyrics in each masterfully composed and arranged song hit home with me now, especially since I am 50 years old--the same age Sinatra was when he recorded this record back in '65. To think that I grew up less than an hour away from where these records were made blows my mind. It is usually after the fact that we realize what a golden moment really is. Thankfully, I can carry those moments as memories with me when I listen to this record.

I am grateful for music downloading technology as it allows me to easily find and collect re-mastered, re-released albums from my childhood. If there was ever an artist that made an impression on me it was Sinatra. My dad still is a fanatic. As I surfed Amazon Mp3 today, I rediscovered this jewel. I recommend it to any songwriter and singer out there as essential listening.

Whenever I hear this record, it takes me back to summer evenings in Fullerton as the open sliding glass door allowed cool breezes to blow in from the back yard--the sound of fireworks from Disneyland popping in the sky. Those were very good years.

1 comment: