Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Virtue

At 50 years old, I'm still learning to follow Jesus like a kindergartner. There are things in life that keep popping up. And like most lessons, I don't enjoy the process. I realized this week that, through some personal struggles that have bogged me down lately, emotion isn't a very reliable leader. Wisdom must lead and emotions will follow.

I have made some spiritual decisions lately that defy any earthly sense I have. When in a quandary as to what to do or how to turn, I know that the greatest wisdom lies in God's view point of the situation. He sees from the advantage of being the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. He has love and concern for me and a greater purpose and plan for my life. I am reminded that I have been placed here at this time, in this hemisphere, with a set of skills that are unique and a specific calling and duty to fulfill as a team player for His greater eternal initiative.

I have always understood virtue, in the classical Greek definition, as the true purpose or design for an object (In other words, a hammer is for hammering nails and a screw driver is for setting screws, etc. Using them for other purposes defies the designer's deliberate intention). If I operate within His purpose and design for me, then I am virtuous in the truest sense of the word. When I am virtuous, I am fulfilling my God-assignment-- in the right place, at the right time, for His bidding.

My problem is that my flesh wants to run from where I know He's leading me. God doesn't concern Himself with time or my propensity to get restless. I have to believe, as I said earlier, that emotion is a poor leader. His wisdom is telling me to hang on. He also assured me that there is a reward in store. But obedience toward His Word defies everything that my earthly eyes perceive. Even so, I know I need to follow His truth and wisdom. I've seen it over and over again: after I set my direction and follow Him, the feelings follow. But Lord, don't make me wait too long!

1 comment:

  1. Jamie,

    I agree with all that is said, with the exception of one thing. Any tool that has made it's way into my hands, will undoubtedly be used as a hammer at one time or another. I hope that this does not make me less virtuous.

    That is all.

    :)

    ReplyDelete