Thursday, September 16, 2010

Position Of The Sun

I love the fall--it seems to be teasing me these days. In less than a week it we be here. The summer is stubborn and won't give in to the cooler weather that I am longing for. As the air gets crisper and the grass and leaves start to lose moisture, the sun takes on a more orange hue. You can look right into it's face during autumn as opposed to the summer sun, where your eyes seem to melt with the quickest glance.

Music, like smell, can jar memories and create soundtracks for reflection. Some songs have a distinct fall character. Fall songs have a more somber feel. It is at this time of year that I, as younger person, made the evaluation whether or not my summer (and life) was successful. It always meant that I had to wait for another year to get that chance for the girl, or the car, or the guitar. Today, as the summer is coming to an end, I make the customary evaluation and feel blessed and thankful that I have seen my greatest dreams fulfilled.

The comedian Kevin Nealon expresses my state-of-mind best when discussing one of his favorite songs, Life In A Northern Town. "There's something about this song that evokes memories of my travels through Europe in my early twenties, finding my way and making new friends. In a weird way, it has to do with the position of the sun...I know, crazy."

No comments:

Post a Comment