Friday, October 29, 2010

Gadget Freak


I broke down and did it. I succumbed to the iPad G.A.S. attack (Gadget Acquisition Syndrome). I covet those that my friends have purchased and I finally found the right excuse(s) to acquire my own: tax write-off, Christmas, 25th wedding anniversary, my great-grandmother's birthday...

As many already know, I am the guy who gets the new gadget as soon as it comes out. Sometimes I have made mistakes like in the case of the ill-fated HD disc player that was obliterated by the Blu-ray a few years ago. I am now the proud owner of an HD boat anchor. Also, Apple's hand-held Newton comes to mind. I bought one of those several years ago and it became a door stop after it failed to catch on with the masses. Even as I strive to keep up with ever-evolving technology, new stuff gets released that makes what I bought yesterday seem as sophisticated as a button on a string.

It's a sickness. I love to surround myself with cool things replete with buttons, touch screens, WiFi, email, Twitter, Facebook, etc. There is probably a saturation point, but I obviously haven't found it yet. Just yesterday my Droid died for no reason. I fiddled around with it and then, suddenly, the screen filled with a great-big, scary, red exclamation point. I went into panic mode and rushed to my neighborhood Verizon store. The guy, who seemed to be about 12 years old, greeted me, snatched the phone from my sweaty palm, did a quick blur of what seemed to be ninja-type moves, and handed me the phone back. At that point I realized my dependence on gadgets had moved past a "mild sickness" into the "insane" realm. I put too much trust in these plastic wonder boxes to bring me happiness.

I know that my gadget insanity will need to be dealt with, but not before I order my iPad. I hear there are great apps available to help neurotic gadget freaks like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment