Monday, October 18, 2010

Songwriters

We are a unique bunch. Every waking moment we seem to be meandering through our day like Mr. Magoo, dreaming up new melodies, the perfect rhyme, new ways to say what everyone is thinking, and praying that no one beats us to the idea first. It's a curious thing--making money with things that we made up in our minds.

I don't really know where the songs come from. Some say we catch them as they fall from heaven. I know that some songs have escaped me--especially those that come to me in dreams. Whatever the source, songs are never just written--the best ones are re-written--scrubbed, sifted, re-worked, over and over, until they are ready to face an audience.

I admire the songwriters who labor over their works of art. Mac McAnally is one of those writers. He is little known as an artist (a great singer, and multi-instrumentalist), but his songs are masterpieces. Another master songsmith is Jimmy Webb. He just released a country album of remakes from his illustrious library of songs recorded by other artists. Tunes like By the Time I Get to Phoenix, Wichita Lineman and Galveston are all his progeny.

Some of my favorite writers are of the Tin Pan Alley days--writers who wrote for Broadway shows and movies. Their lyrics and melodies are even being recorded today. I loved the tradition where a prelude was introduced before the song actually started. The craft of those artisans still serve as benchmarks for serious writers today.

I am blessed to be a songwriter. I have always made up stuff in my head that I thought was useless until I realized that other people liked to sing my songs, too. The day I signed my first writer's deal was a dream come true. I look forward to the songs that are in my future. I think the best ones are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment