Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Mighty Pen

I have been writing almost everyday for six months. In that time this blog has come to life. I have discovered that I really enjoy the process of jotting down my thoughts. Sometimes I feel that it is a self-centered activity--writing about my journey through life. As I receive responses from folks all over the USA, I have reconsidered my stance on writing about what I know best: my sphere of experience.

Twitter is fun. I like to read tidbits from other people's experiences and not necessarily have to wade through all the extras that a place like Facebook offers (don't get me wrong, I LOVE the opportunity Facebook has given me to connect with lost friends). The ability to quickly and succinctly convey a thought to other people around the world is a remarkable benefit made possible by our nifty, Dick Tracy-like phones. My favorite person on Twitter is pastor Rick Warren. He seems to deliver the most power-packed statements related to being a Christ-follower. I am encouraged every time a new Rick-tweet makes it's way to my Android smart-phone. I would really be bummed if he stopped delivering his golden nuggets of wisdom throughout the day.

I realize the benefit of writing is for me more than the reader. I have the opportunity to think through what I want to say and, in the process, refine my thoughts to enable a more disciplined delivery. Like with the process of songwriting, I mull over everything, making sure that I am communicating my point in the clearest fashion while considering the grammar and spelling (sometimes a mistake eludes my attention and I have to quickly make repairs after they are later discovered). The process of writing is the only way one will discover his own voice. Over the past months I have had the opportunity to find my own.

I am excited about the future as I branch out with the prospect of several book projects that I have been dreaming about lately. In fact, today I start the outline for what I hope is my entree into the literary world. The pen is powerful--reading has changed my own life tremendously. With my keyboard before me, I am taking steps toward a new and powerful way to express my mind, faith and experience as a fellow traveler to all who will stop and read the words I put to an empty page.

No comments:

Post a Comment