Sunday, February 27, 2011

Double Trouble

I received an email this week from a guy whose name is also James Harvill. He jokingly said that he always wondered who was beating him to screen names on the web throughout the years. I guess he has found the culprit....me!

Someone came up this weekend and said I reminded them of their estranged father (Wow...thank you?). She said he left when she was an infant but came back into her life when she was twenty-something, only to dart out of it again like a phantom. I guess I have that "you look like someone I know" kind of face. My friend with the estranged father said she didn't hold any animosity toward me even though I was a dead-ringer for her dead-beat dad. That transference of emotion is a heavy weight to bear--for her and for me.

Many years ago I had someone tell me I looked like the songwriter of Barbra Streisand's "Evergreen" fame, Paul Williams. Come on! He's short, and has a severely turned up nose. I know that my profile is not Romanesque, but...give me a break. I have also been mistaken for Kiefer Sutherland from 24 a few times. Of course, they always have to add, "...if you lost a huge amount of weight!" Hey, if it's gonna insult me, keep those comments to yourself!

Most people do say I look like my dad. That's cool with me. He is the greatest looking 84-year old I know. The only difference is that I have managed to keep my hair; he started losing his at a very young age. Thank God that my kids have managed to get the "lovely" genes from their beautiful mother. I always tell her that the machine in heaven that was giving out beauty gave her enough to bless an entire cheer-leading squad! She is beautiful both inside and out.

I am just an average guy with average looks. I constantly have a tug-o-war with my weight,though, which really is tough because I spend so much time in front of people. In reality, I will probably never attain the image I have for myself in my mind, even though I've dropped 35 pounds in the last year, and have managed to keep it off. I'm sure my body image is distorted; I know many people who are plagued with this distorted body image problem.

Even so, I love my life, my wife, family, job and home. If I do have a double out there, I'm sure I've got him beat in the "blessed" category!

No comments:

Post a Comment