Friday, February 25, 2011

Quincy Jones: A Living Legacy

My Amazon.com "jones" is way out of control. It's just too convenient and cheap to turn away from the plethora of deals that are waiting to be had there. So, after seeing a new book review in a guitar magazine last week, I decided to order The Quincy Jones Legacy Series: Q on Producing.

If you look back over the past fifty years of pop music, Quincy Jones has been busy on the scene. He has worked with Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Sinatra, and, of course, Jones' most notable protege, Michael Jackson. When you produce a recording like Thriller, the best selling album of all time, there certainly is a distinctive genius that sets this man apart from the rest of the music world.

As I read of the brain aneurysms Quincy survived years back, it quietly explains his love for life and for the people that surround him,--not only personally but professionally. Although he commands great respect from even the heaviest-hitters in music, he is gentle, approachable and generous to share creative input during recording sessions. How many people can get away with putting up a sign telling pop stars participating in We Are the World back in the 80s to "Check your egos at the door!" before entering the recording studio?

He played trumpet early-on with the greatest names in the jazz world and studied composition in France for five years during the 50s under the tutelage of Nadia Boulanger. He went on to compose music for films like In Cold Blood, The Pawnbroker and In the Heat of the Night.

As I read the generous comments made from his most often called upon musicians who he lovingly calls the "usual suspects," the same overall idea comes through: Q always chooses the right people for the part and lets them use their natural instincts, experience, style and creativity to guide the song. He will jump in and make suggestions about how he wants things, but he gently guides the song to completion--stopping and moving on to the next as early as possible when the perfect "take" emerges. Many producers dictate note for note, lick for lick, what they want. Jones has confidence in himself and his musicians, otherwise, why would he have asked them to the session in the first place? I aspire to be like Quincy in my musical endeavors and in working with people.

I know it's cornball, but as I read the book, I heard Dan Fogelberg's Leader of the Band lyric over and over in my head:
He earned his love through discipline
A thundering, velvet hand
His gentle means of sculpting souls
Took me years to understand

...his blood runs through my instrument
And his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band
It seems Quincy Jones' legacy will be passed down for generations as long as love, respect, gentleness, grace and excellence are allowed to penetrate the creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment