Monday, February 7, 2011

Yinz Wanna Sound Like A Picksburgher?

Today is a sad day for the Steeler Nation. The Packers stole the chance for Roethlisberger to bring home another Super Bowl win to the folks back in Pittsburgh. It was a tough game to watch after leaving Pittsburgh Sunday. I led worship in a church there and was completely engaged in the party atmosphere that was even present at the church service. As I boarded my plane for Nashville, I said goodbye to one of my favorite places in the US.

That morning, as I was working with the song lyrics to be projected on the screen for service, the operator pointed out that Pittsburghers would never sing the lyrics to the hymn, Just As I Am, without re-writing them. Pittsburghers are very smart, articulate people--it's just that they have a certain way of saying things. The locals call it Pittsburghese.

The beloved Myron Cope, who passed away in 2008, was the radio voice of the Steelers for 35 years and was the standard bearer for the Pittsburgh accent. His nasal sounding voice and idiosyncratic speech pattern brought a level of excitement rarely exhibited in the broadcast booth. He is known for being a large part of the invention of the Terrible Towel by urging fans in 1975 to take yellow dish towels to the playoff game against the Baltimore Colts and wave them throughout. His broadcasts helped to propel the Pittsburgh accent toward national attention.

So, with the help of Dr. Cope, a translation machine found at Pittsburghese.com, and some encouragement from my friends at Living Bridge Community Church in Gibsonia, PA, I offer my southern-fried rendition of Just As I Am, Pittsburgh style.

Original

Just as I am, without one plea
But that Thy blood was shed for me
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee
O Lamb of God, I come, I come

Pittsburghese

Jest as ahz am, witout one excuse, n'at
But that yinzes blood was laid aht dere fer me
N'at yinz called me ta come mere abahts yinz are
O, Lamb a Gawd, I'm gowen to go ovaderr to you, go ovaderr to you, n'at

How'd I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment