Monday, February 21, 2011

Mobile, Alabama Memories

Brenda and I were married in Mobile, Alabama right before Christmas in 1985. Our kids, Josh and Betsy, were born over the next few years. I graduated from the University of Mobile (then Mobile College) in 1989.

I was able to connect with the music community there soon after I arrived in the summer of 1985, fresh off the bus to marry Brenda after completing 2-1/2 years as a guitar player with the contemporary Christian group, Truth. The group was founded and operated out of Mobile until they closed up shop a few years ago. For approximately 12 years, Brenda, the kids and I lived a pauper's existence, making sacrifices to enable us to finally earn a living as a song writer. Mobile based Integrity Music was gracious enough to sign me to an exclusive writer contract in 1992, helping us to buy our first home and inch out of the abject poverty that this post-college grad and our young family endured. We also served some wonderful churches while in Mobile. My mother's untimely death in 1997 was the impetus for us to move away to live near my dad in western North Carolina.

I have great memories of our time in Mobile. Since Brenda was raised there, and her folks are there to this day, we are blessed to visit at least once a year. One of the great memories is when I recorded songs at a small studio there. For a short time I was in a a band/duo with a talented keyboardist and singer, Jeff Reinert. We recorded our project at Bay Recording with Bill Flowers. I also recorded many radio and TV commercials there over the years.

Bill sent me this video today: an add for the studio back in the late 80's. I am not proud of my saucer-sized glasses, or worse, the mullet hair style. But it is a warm feeling to see it again after all these years. Thanks, Bill!

No comments:

Post a Comment